View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #1215
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Enoch, you obviously have a huge emotional connection to the Flames for reasons I am not expecting you to divulge. It being a catalyst in your decision to move your family to Calgary, it's clear that you have a larger emotional connection, and gain a greater identity from them than most of us on this site. That's not meant to be derogatory or accusatory, I'm just trying to come from your position on this as you have been one of the staunchest advocates for the proposal. Again, I mean no ill intent from that statement.

However, not everyone derives the same emotional benefit from the Flames as you (or the Jets for WpgFan). Many of us are pretty big Flames fans. We wouldn't be on this site if we weren't. CP is probably one of the largest collection of Flames fans on the internet - and yet almost 60% rejected the CalgaryNext proposal, and a sizeable minority are against significant contribution form the city.

In the end, many of Calgarians treat the Flames as just another entertainment option in a city filled with them (granted, it could be argued that Calgary has fewer in comparison to other major cities) and we are less willing to see the city spend its limited resources on one of those options where that money can be better used.

You can continue to make your arguments in favour of the arena and that the city should pay a significant amount; but, you cannot assume that we all have the same emotional connection to the team as you appear to have.
First of all, thanks for a thoughtful post without any attacks or inflamed opinions - I appreciate it. And your comments are all fair, though I absolutely do not assume everyone has the same emotional connection that I do.

But I can tell you this - like WinnipegFan found as well - when the team leaves, a whole lot more people feel the loss than expect to. The city suffered from it. Non-hockey fans felt it too - people that thought they wouldn't care, and wanted no part of tax dollars going to a team that they didn't even follow or care about.

I didn't write that as some kind of threat. Nor do I expect everyone to feel the same way. I simply expressed what I experienced in Winnipeg. I certainly wouldn't expect half the city to get up and move - that was not the point.

The point was that the real, tangible effect for the city - for everyone - was far greater than anyone expected it to be.