View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #167
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Like many have said, it's not going to happen. Why in God's holy name would the BoG approve moving a money making franchise? Remember, all the owners need to approve a move.

If by some miracle they moved, I think there would be a lineup of about 1,000 billionaires across the globe ready to put a new team in Calgary. It's a cash cow.

I'd likely start following/supporting the new professional hockey club in Calgary if it were to happen. I'd obviously be interested to see how the players I've become fond of like Monahan and Tkachuk are doing, and I would cheer for them individually, but not as a club.

The Flames make money. They want the city to subsidize a rink so they can make MORE money by charging us, the fans, more. Not cool.
They wouldn't approve the move:

1) Put the Rogers TV deal at risk, which is a massive money maker for the league.
2) Move a profitable Franchise when owners like Carolina, Florida, Islanders and Phoenix are struggling? Yeah, good luck with those owners voting to approve the move. They will probably have their own deals in place to move to Seattle.
3) Growing Canadian Dollar (at least in the near term). With the dollar expected to continue to grow as interest rates climb, the Canadian franchises look considerably better. They make even more $$$ for the league.

I know Estrada trotted out the Raiders deal, but there just isn't the same type of market for NHL teams as there are NFL teams. It isn't even close. I mean the last round of interest should have told them as much with Vegas only being able to pony up the $500 million they needed. Aside from Quebec, there just wasn't that much other interest in owning an NHL team.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote