View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #32
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO #23 View Post
I don't think anyone is talking about banning dogs as pets, writ large. But there is certainly some merit to the discussion regarding banning certain breeds of dogs, IMO. It's much easier to place an outright ban on dangerous, destructive, and unpredictable dogs like pit bulls than it is to implement some sort of ridiculous 'licencing system' that will almost certainly be flouted with impunity by the very people we don't want owning these types of dogs.
In my opinion I don't think there is much merit in banning certain breads of dogs. Do pit bulls attack or even kill more than other breads on average? Probably not. This is a case where the value of good science is to drive policy. Most researchers agree that breed-specific legislation — a nice term for pit bull bans — are inappropriate. No good data exists to demonstrate that such bans have had any impact. Media hype and politicians pandering. Sliver is pretty much the media pushing the "summer of the shark" on us with his hyperbole in the OP.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote