View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #83
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little jealous that I don't get to wear shorts to work pretty much ever.

Chino shorts and boat shoes are a great pairing. Light colored shorts, chinos, I love pairing with these, although it was a bitch to get them since they don't sell them on the Canadian Sperry site. The Canadian site has a ton of good options, I'm just a picky bastard and really wanted them in nubuck. Presumably you're not as fussy as I am, so the good news here is with some clever pairing, you can pull off a lot of looks with various tans, blues, and greys in a boat shoe.

Another look is same as the above, but with loafers if you want to class up the look a little. I have a pair of Goodyear welted horse-bit loafers in chocolate brown (same brand and almost identical to this pair, but with burnishing front and rear) that I like pairing with lighter pants or shorts. If I'm wearing them to the office, then pants and regular calf socks it is. If I'm wearing them with chino shorts, then I'll wear no-show socks, and I promise you can find them cheaper than that, but these were just the best example since Amazon surprisingly wasn't great on first look.

Up until recently, all my nicer shoes required dark, dressier denim as a bare-minimum starting point, and my more casual looks were paired with sneakers or other plain ol' casual type shoes. But I've added pairs now that can be dressed down to a more contemporary European style if you play it right. Light brown whole-cuts, loafers, single monk straps, etc. are great candidates to be dressed down with class and style. As with pretty much any style advice, your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Aeneas our European traveller says Europeans view shorts as the province of children and idiots.

I wonder how this works during their 40 C summer.
Europe is comprised of 44 countries, I think the statement says a lot more about the preference of your traveler friend than it does the opinions of Europeans as a whole. Go to Italy sometime and it'll be patently obvious that his statement falls flat on its face there. Many of my own style preferences are informed by Italian fashion.

Although they would not wear shorts to work, that said.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 08-20-2019 at 06:19 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote