View Single Post
Old 05-08-2022, 06:35 AM   #56
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Cool, a long post hating on advanced stats. Let me try to rebut.

Stats are great. "Advanced stats" are simply more stats. More stats are better than less stats.

Consider goalies. There are 32 teams who each play 82 games. No human can watch all of the games to use the eye test to compare goalies. Good thing we keep a record of stats.

In the beginning, we kept track of a goalie's goals against average. This gives us a tool to compare different goalies. Neat.

But wait. NHL data became more sophisticated and they started tracking shots on goal. Now we have more data, so we can calculate more advanced stats. Now, we can see which goalies save a higher percentage of shots faced, along with their goals against. Incredible! Save percentage is more advanced than pure GAA -- maybe advanced stats aren't that scary after all.

Most recently, the NHL has implemented puck tracking. With this, stat nerds are trying to quantify how tough of saves a goalie makes. Some fans want to make use of this new data and discuss it with others.

Yes, we know that the new stats are not perfect. Just looking at GAA will not tell you which goalie is better. SVP is an improvement. Now fans are looking at goals saved above average (GSAA). Having more stats will only help paint a clearer picture of the game we are watching.
You wasted a lot of words misunderstanding that post.

I’m not against advanced stats. I just think posting a wall of advanced stats instead of an actual opinion make for boring forum convos.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: