View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #53
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
This argument is always so confusing to me. I am supposed to believe that most people stay away from anything that is not top of the line? Then why do thousands attending WHL games, that's not the greatest of the great hockey. Why do thousands attend the Shaw Charity Classic to see old timers not in their prime anymore? Why do people go to Theatre Calgary; it's not Broadway.

CWHL games had the majority of the top players at the level, playing a game Canadians claim to love, at a price where the entire family (or a bunch of students) could have a night out with tickets, drinks and food cheaper than one Flames ticket.

I cannot be quoted on the exact amounts but I believe the Flames involvement was very little financially (something like a few thousand over several years) and most of the support was "in-kind". That is, they paid for the logo redesign and jerseys and offered a little bit of promotion.

Frustrating when the team would be shut out for ice-time for practice and needed to come up with their own deals.
Yes they do stay away. The Hitmen are the next best game in town and a cheaper alternative, league also marketed as future NHLer's. After the Hitmen, huge drop off (90% +/-)in attendance at hockey games around the city, mostly parents, buddies and fans of the visiting team. Shaw Charity is the best golf around, no alternative; see the legends.