View Single Post
Old 01-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #174
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Bump!

So I've caught the HiFi audio bug. I mostly blame Tidal and the Naim Uniti Atom, as after hearing them at my parents house, I really clued into how much different a high-quality source and system can make. It's funny to say, but it rekindled my love of music again, and it's become a nice family for us to bond over.

After constant YouTube watching and research, I pulled the trigger on a few used items, including a vintage Sansui 8080db Receiver and a Luxman PD 277 turntable. I'm really happy with them both, and dig the vintage warm sound and aesthetic.

One thing I really need to do is upgrade my speakers, as I currently have some hand-me-down home-theatre-focused Athena speakers that aren't bad, but clearly show their limits with music. Problem is I'm unsure of which way to go... do I buy new, or look for vintage speakers? And if vintage, which ones? I listen to mostly 60-90s rock/jazz/blues/pop and tend to like a warm inviting sound (I find most modern speakers too detailed/clinical).

Any suggestions? Budget really depends on what is available. If it's vintage, probably don't want to pay more than $2K, if its new probably max of $4K.

Some options I've considered:
Spendor/Harbeth BBC-type speakers
Klipsch Heritage line (Heresy IV?)
Dynaudio Evoke 20 / Heritage Special
Vintage JBL type speakers (too many different models for me to differentiate between)

The one caveat is that I need to place them relatively close to the wall (say a foot) so they can't be speakers that only sound good if placed in the middle of the room. They will be part of our living room, not some special audio room.
I recommend a visit to The Audio Room. They have a huge variety of speakers you can demo. I spent hours in their trying them out. I bet a set of Tannoys would be what you’re looking for.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: