View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 11:33 AM   #15
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
My mom raised 3 kids on her own. She worked multiple jobs and put herself through college and university at the same time. It made us who we are today. We were incredibly independent kids who just had to "figure it out" on our own sometimes. Different childhood than some to be sure but we were lucky we had the mother that we did. It could easily have gone bad had she not been so strong.

She ended up getting her MSW and running some pretty important programs in the city.
Man, our life stories are very similar. Single Mom, 3 kids. She had a variety of jobs for a while, on welfare (as it was called then) for a while, eventually worked her way through a degree in psychology and got on a career track. Ultimately getting her Masters.

And same as you, we had to be very self reliant. With little money around, we had to make things happen for ourselves, there wasn’t a financial safety net that I knew my parents could help me out with if things went sideways. However she was a strong and amazing person who set me up really well in every way other than financially.

As for the thread topic, she ended up spending most of her professional life as a child protection worker, dealing with kids in difficult circumstances, and having to remove children when situations were too bad at home. That had to be a very challenging job, with the potential for a lot of stress and big implications if you make the wrong call one way or the other. But she had the right temperament for it.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post: