View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #35
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That happened in the AB game in the extra end I mentioned above.
After AB missed the tick on a perfect center guard, Wark wanted to go around it but her front end talked her out of it. They threw another guard and it spun out of control after that.

Wark is the skip, why is she letting her team talk her out of things.

I don't mind input into shots. It's a team game, especially in this era, but I'm a fan of the skip needs to control the flow of the game. The biggest reason I like having the skip decide most of what is going on is that s/he usually is throwing the last rock. If you, as the skip, are setting it up to play something on your last, you don't want to have a few calls change what you are throwing. You get pissy, and your mind is not aligned for what you wanted. Input is absolutely fine, but it has to be selective and it has to stop if the skip really doesn't want it.

Kevin Koe's teams from the last few years liked to discuss everything. They almost ran out of time every game, but that worked for them. Kevin Martin and Brad Gushue run more of a dictator like atmosphere on their rinks. Yes, there is input, but it's not as much. Gushue is getting more input these last few years, but the calibre of players he has on his team is substantially better than when his front end had Korab, Adam, Noftall, Schille, Fry, Fanbrook, etc. Gallant and Walker are two of the best. They've been together for five years and have two Briers. They get to have input.

Some of this also comes from practice. I'm a huge fan of practicing and discussing situations before you come up against them. Whatever the score, hammer, and end situation, your team should have a plan for it. You shouldn't be in an extra end and not know what to do with the third rock, no matter what happened on the first two. There's zero excuse for that and it shouldn't be a discussion. They've had over six months to figure that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote