View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #2201
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
6 months from now we'll all be saying 'dougie who?'

Who here knows me to be a flames rose coloured optimist or cheerleader?

I maintain, right now, Hanifin is a better 3 zone defender than Hamilton. He will not score as many goals, but that's low on my priority for guys charged primarily with prevented them and moving the puck quickly and effectively out of danger areas. I think Hanifin is already better at that than Hamilton is.

Can't believe the Flames were on the positive end of capitalizing on the high water mark for players.

Hanifin is probably better at moving the puck out of danger more quickly than Hamilton, which is why I compared him to Brodie.

However, he is definitely not better defensively right now. You do realize he has only been playing defence for 3 seasons now, right? I mean, he has always been a defencemen, but throughout his junior career and his year of college, his coaches have never taught him how to be a defencemen. Where did I get this from? From an interview with Hanifin in his first or second year in Carolina.

Repeat - he has only been learning how to defend for the last 3 seasons. I think he will get there, and I do think there is a good chance that in time he will get better than Hamilton, but it won't be this year. It won't surprise me to see Kulak bumped up on the left side for a stretch and Hanifin sheltered somewhat on the third pairing at times. I won't freak out if that happens - there is a reason behind it.

I do think he is excellent at moving the puck and starting a transition.