View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #1009
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Maybe this is an aside, but it raises an interesting point. There is an historicism which deals with this a little. It used to be ( probably over a 100 years ago now) parents would tell their children what to expect from the world, and they would more or less be correct. Their children would be living in a world that was very similar to their parents. This is no longer the case. Things change so rapidly that a parent can hardly tell their child what their life will be like.

Baby Boomers have a lot of life experience and knowledge. The issue is that this knowledge is about a world that no longer exists. Millennials to a degree were raised in a world of unknowns. The generations after are even more out of touch with the world that boomers know having not experienced a little of it in their youth. The generational gap has never been larger.
That's so true.

I guess it begs the question, "What would I tell my kids today about trying to prosper in the future, considering the present situation?

As an old guy, I think I would say things like:

1. You should expect change and act accordingly. e.g. The economy is always going in cycles.

2. Find out what you like doing, do it to the best of your ability, and create a market for your own talents.

3. Keep your finances manageable.

4. Competition is normal, in spite of what you may have thought in school.

5. Don't spend too much time trying to change the world.

6. Be aware of all the forces acting on you to spend money.

7. The world is not just.

8. Don't subscribe to the idea that the person who dies with the most toys is the winner.

9. There are only a small percentage of self-initiating people in society. If you see something that needs doing, don't wait for someone to tell you to do it.

10. Etc. etc. etc.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote