View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #4
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes, sad to hear Roky has passed. I got into the 13th Floor Elevators in high school. I still remember buying the Easter Everywhere/Bull of the Woods CD, which was a French import with two LPs on one CD. It was $29 at The Record Store, which was located at the time on the lobby level of Stratford Towers apartment building on 17th Ave, which was a few blocks away from my high school. The cost of that CD was equivalent to two nights working as a bus boy so it was a big spend but I couldn't find 13th Floor Elevators anywhere else in the city. This was around 1988 and there wasn't the same cultish following around Roky as there is today (or at least the cult following was just starting in 1988) so it was not easy to find 13th Floor Elevators stuff. But I love this CD. I still have it -- it's sitting in front my my keyboard as I type this. The CD opens with "Slip Inside This House" and I was in love.

It's amazing to me that Easter Everywhere was a 21 year-old record when I purchased it. When I played it back in '88, it sounded like lost sounds from the far distant past. So it's amazing to think that Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, which was clearly influenced by Roky, is the same age today as Easter Everywhere was when I purchased it in 1988.

Anyway, a couple years later, I bought the Where the Pyramid Meets the Eye tribute album. That is a great tribute album if you've never heard it.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post: