View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #157
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
For the relatively uninitiated, what do the no-voters in the Parliament who voted down the previous Brexit deals want exactly?

It seems like they are otherwise unappeasable, and there is a lot of time and effort being put in to coming up with a solution that doesn't seem to get any traction within Parliament. I feel like if I was Theresa May at this moment, I would say "screw this, I am out, you figure out what you want".
The problem for the UK is that Brexit offers no economic upside under any circumstances what so ever and the potential for catastrophic damage, it is the equivalent of Canada tearing up NAFTA and telling the US to go pound salt in the hopes we can make up the massive loss of trade with US by selling maple syrup to the EU. No one wants to be seen as responsible for the massive pain whichever Brexit happens causes, they are all positioning themselves to be able to say 'I never supported this and if I'd been in charge it would have gone much better'

Any and every reasonably bright person involved knows this, the major pro Brexit financial backers have all moved their assets out of the UK and it looks increasingly clear their plan was to short the pound and make money out of the chaos, in fact the father of Jacob Rees Moog literally published a book in the 70's on how to make money from a massive economic crash and is considered the father of British disaster capitalism.

Farage and Johnson, the two politicians that led the campaign only ever saw Brexit as a vehicle for their own political advancement, Johnson didn't decide to back Brexit until the night before the vote, he had written editorials, one in favour of the EU one against and at the eleventh hour decided he had a better chance of gaining power within the Conservatives by leading the anti EU forces he assumed would be left after the vote had failed, he was never particularly known as anti EU before.
Nigel Farage had tried desperately to get into the Conservative Party in the 90's but was far too middle class and not particularly successful and I suspect his whole political ideology has more to do with his resentment of the true posh boys from Eton at the top who looked down on him than the EU where he has happily lived with his German wife and then french girlfriend, his kids have all applied for German Citizenship in order to retain the benefits of EU membership.

Brexit is literally a political movement led by leaders who have no belief in the movement themselves who are all trying to distance themselves from the reality of Brexit

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 03-15-2019 at 10:11 AM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: