View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #23
Nandric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Put me in the camp that Hollywood is not the exception but the norm. We see and think it might be worse than what women experience in day to day life, but I think that is because Hollywood has the spotlight of the media always shining on it. It would be a similar example to why we see most politicians as being greasy and dishonest, because being in the spotlight means their past and present actions are always being examined and reported on.

I believe that this behaviour of sexual abuse, rape, and harassment was and still is endemic in our society and only now starting to become less acceptable. I use acceptable, even though it is a horrid word in regards to this subject, as in a lot of cases people still look at these men as victims because they are getting accused. Look at the case of Tom Humphries in Ireland, a famous sportswriter, who until the full details of his case were revealed was thought of as being treated unfairly by everybody. It took the act of revealing that this man sent ~16000 text messages to a 14 year old girl, grooming her over many years so he could assault her.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36270560.html

As well, yesterday one of the head editors at NPR resigned due to sexual harassment, where he used the power of his position as a senior editor to try and take advantage of women looking to advance professionally.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...c00_story.html

So yes, I believe this is a start but its going to take a long time for women to feel comfortable enough to come forward about this stuff when its by men in power professionally, let alone in day to day interactions. Listening to some of the women in my life talk about what they went through in trying speak out after being raped or assaulted, the futility and cards stacked against them in reporting and staying safe after these events, the psychological effects of having to deal with past traumas, is heartbreaking. So it is going to take everybody realizing that almost any women you know has been at minimum, a victim of sexual harassment. It is going to take people stopping to listen and refrain from shaming the victims when these stories come out because the majority are going to be true. Its going to take time and understanding, and I hope for everybody and especially women, that this happens sooner than later.