View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Used Expedia a fair bit.

Sometimes I package with them, sometimes not.

No matter what, after getting an idea of Expedia packages with preferred flights and hotels, I use Kayak to find the prices of those flights. Use Trip Advisor to get a proper idea of the hotel. Then use Trivago or the specific hotel website you’re staying at for prices of hotels, along with the the discounts for booking direct with them or any promos hotels have (AMA etc). Sometimes the Expedia promotion is better.

Get a few hotel options and then track them over a week or so at all sites. Hotel prices can change daily, especially on Expedia, and certainly if part of a package (this changes more then the flight prices change). If you see a price one night, and it’s gone the next morning, wait until later that day and that cheaper price may come back.

There certainly can be deals, I’ve gotten some excellent Expedia package deals that I couldn’t put together separately after weeks of tracking prices. Sometimes we’ve gotten better deals by hotel direct booking. And sometimes hotels have more rooms than Expedia says (or buys) if you’re stuck on a certain place.

For car, I agree, book directly with the agency.

For air, they give you an airline confirmation number so you deal direct with the airline for any issues. We just had a 737 Max issue and dealt directly with Air Canada.
And sign up with the airline directly for notifications.

Hotels, same thing, Expedia give you a hotel confirmation number. Though last minute stuff (ie arriving later in the day or the next) especially if you’re staying at a smaller place, may not get the reservation to the hotel right away.

But Vancouver, yes there are often decent deals for air and hotel together, and the Canada line is just fine to get and from the airport.

Last edited by browna; 03-27-2019 at 06:57 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: