View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #58
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It depends on what his contract with the Flames says. I believe the standard way it works is if his new job pays him less than what he would have been paid by the Flames, the Flames have to make up the difference. If he's getting paid the same or more, then the Flames would be off the hook.

Since he's going from a head coaching position to an assistant, he'll likely be getting paid less, so the Flames would still be paying him.

I think some coaches have been in high-enough demand to get guaranteed contracts, so they get paid even if they get fired, but I doubt Gulutzan would have had enough pull for that.

I asked around and this is generally the case. My read on the situation is Gulutzan will make more than most assistants (he would've had to in order to lure him away from a guaranteed salary this year to sit at home). Essentially, the Flames split the difference with the Oilers for the first year.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote