View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #31
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Thought the movie was decent, but definitely in the lower half of the MCU. My wife summed it up the best, "She's too strong, everything came so easy for her". It's actually the same issue I had with Wonder Woman, no real stakes involved when the hero is so much more powerful than everyone else. Fury carried the movie for me, and I thought the Skrulls were really well done and liked the twist of them being the good guys. I hope in Endgame and future sequels that Danvers actually has to face some real adversity, because I do like what Brie Larson brings to the table
an overpowered protagonist can still have a compelling story if you give them a good, strong internal conflict to deal with. Wonder Woman had the dilemma about whether humanity was inherently good or bad and worth saving. if they just carried that through to the very end and gave her a climactic point at which she has to decide yes/no, it would have been much more interesting than what they did instead, which was just fight generic strong bad guy #153.

Captain Marvel should have had a much stronger internal conflict. for most of the movie she believed she was part of the noble Kree race fighting to rid the galaxy of the Skrull scourge. it doesn't matter that the audience already kind of knows the Kree are actually bad, that revelation to her should have been a huge identity crisis moment. but instead they made it so that she never seemed to have that strong a bond with her Kree team in the first place, and turned on them really easily without any mental struggle as soon as she remembers the plane crash.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post: