Thread: [News] March 5th Practice Notes
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #37
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I feel the team owes Rittich a couple games to figure it out. He’s shown that he can get hot but he’s also shown that he may not be the type of goalie that can go several weeks without a start and come in and play lights out. The flames should’ve gave him a couple more starts during the winning streak to keep him in a groove. This past game reminded me of how Rittich played in that first pre-season start. I’m all for riding the hot goalie but given how unpredictable ours have been it seems a bit naive to have one of them go weeks without starting. Both Smith and Rittich need games, neither seem to do well when coming back after a several games or more as the backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I definitely would like to see Rittich get a string of starts just to see what we have in him.

My only concern with him is that he seems to be trending in the wrong direction. He started the year red hot after taking over for Smith, but since he's been handed more or less the starter's role, he's had more bad games. I wouldn't say he's "struggled" like Smith has, but he hasn't been as good.

The worry is this is the second year in a row where Rittich has shown some signs of struggling when handed a bigger role. Once is luck, twice is coincidence. Can we really afford to give him a third year just to see what we have in him?

I've said in one of the other threads, I think Treliving has done a great job acquiring the right pieces to make this team a contender. I think he needs to pony up the assets now to get a true #1 in the summer.

Rittich is great, but I think he eventually peaks as a Ramo/Khudobin/Domingue type of a goalie. My opinion only.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote