View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 11:59 PM   #157
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I really like these top two line combinations.

Johnny needs to play with two other guys who can play with the puck on their stick in the offensive zone. They need to cycle the puck and protect it while Johnny disappears in coverage; Gaudreau may not be as explosive as he was a couple years ago, but his edge work is still among the tops in the league. He changes direction as well as anyone in the game. They can’t touch him when he doesn’t have the puck, so it’s on the coaches to find ways to scheme him open like he’s a wide receiver. Lindholm and Backlund are also our two best defensive forwards, so that might work out better than having Lindholm cover for the defensive miscues of two players.

Tkachuk and Mangiapane will drag Monahan into the fight. Sean was as physical this post season as I’ve ever seen him, and it still wasn’t nearly enough. Playing with a couple guys who’ll start some #### will help him. The hockey sense, the passing, the finish, all of that is elite. Tkachuk is really good defensively, and I don’t think Mangiapane hurts you either. A lack of foot speed may be concerning - dump it in, have Mangiapane go get it, cycle to Tkachuk, centre to Monahan, play the song.

Now the two best offensive players on the team are each the third-best defensive player on their respective lines. Everyone still gets to play with high skill players. Monahan is no longer constantly deferring to Gaudreau, and Gaudreau isn’t getting mauled as often because he’s not trying to skate through the entire opposition.

Throw everyone together on the power play, but 5v5, I don’t think Monahan/Gaudreau+ and Tkachuk/Backlund+ give the Flames the best chance to win.
Interesting!

Except Gaudreau’s greatest assets are supposed to be his creativity and playmaking ability! Who does it better than him...when he is in the right mindset and willing to pay the price?

Not many....he needs to be more courageous in traffic, IMO. He has shown he is more than capable.

Pretty sure you’re barking up the wrong tree.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote