View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are at the stage where it's more about picking the best of a bad lot. I went with Feaster. He had the task of taking things in a totally different direction from Sutter letting the scouts do their jobs and stocking the cupboards for the beginning of what became a somewhat successful rebuild. I didn't agree with the Hartley hire but he was responsible for maybe the most entertaining Flames season since 2004 and that's worth something when you consider the Flames have been perennial underachievers/chokers for most of the last 30 years. He can thank the Rangers for taking the bullet for the horribile Richards contract offer. That could have set this organization back big time but it didn't. The ROR offersheet could have also been a debacle due to the team maybe not reading enough CBA fine print but in hindsight if the Avs decide not to match you can make a case the ROR is a better overall player than Monahan as his grit and faceoff ability may have brought more success in the postseason. IMO his biggest undoing may have been the hiring of Weisbrod. The Flames 2011 draft when Feaster leaned on Button and his staff was probably one of the best drafts in Flames history and the following two drafts with Weisbrod's influence were largely trash as all they have to show for them is Monahan and Jankowski. Also he was part of that smartest man in the room aura that was rubbing other GM's the wrong way. The fact that Burke didn't even know what he did was telling. So at the end of the day he did take the franchise into the direction of the needed rebuild even if there were plenty of mistakes. Luck was involved but at the end of the day he's not responsible for the worst moves in Franchise history as that those go to Risebrough (Gilmour trade), Sutter (Phaneuf trade), Treliving (Brouwer, Neal, Lucic).

I like Burke but I just think the sample size is too small as he was brought in to provide his opinion on the Feaster regime and did that by recommending they be removed and brought in his own guy who's been a mixed bag. Also the 2014 draft he oversaw was arguably one of the worst in Flames history.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote