View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #2123
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I'm not trying to crap on advanced stats, and I know they are useful when they are used properly, but it seems like our team is good when we have a crappy corsi and they suck when we are dominating the corsi battle. Watching games last year where we had 40+ shots on net but never seemed to have a really good scoring chance was painful. Reminds me of the greasers a couple of years ago when they were one of the worst teams in the league but had great advanced stats so they were going to win eventually right?

I really think this team is hugely improved, the team is just better balanced all around. Our top 6 should be a bit better, our bottom 6 should be a massive improvement, I really think our defence will be as good or better.
Personally, I think it is because GG was coaching for Corsi assuming the wins would come because of it. He was known to be a sucker for advanced stats before the Flames hired him. The team lacked a coherent system and failed the eye test on most nights, but yay for advanced stats I guess.

Obviously, having a good Corsi rating is good and most (but not all) great teams will naturally have a good Corsi. But it isn't terribly hard to fake a good Corsi if that is the goal.