Thread: [News Roundup] Lucic Trade
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was at that juncture, however, that I am led to believe that James Neal expressed a specific interest in going to Edmonton. I’m not positive to whom he or his camp did this. But things changed…

Neal came to the Flames in not so insignificant part because he is buddies with Smith. When Smith went there, he was open to going there if the Flames didn't want him.

Any Oilers media spin about him going (or asking to go) to Edmonton for any other reason (though a side benefit is playing with McDavid), is pure BS.

After seeing the numbers for the contract between the two, and the endorsements of Lucic, softened a bit on this. He is the exactly the type of player, on paper 2 to 4 years ago, thst the Flames need. Unlike Talbot who I think can bounce back after the drudgery of Edmonton, Lucic not so sure of being able to regain his form from a few years back. Talbot had crappy defense and saw a lot of rubber with no structure or support as his reason for decline. Lucic, while he does have less of a role and responsibilitiy to play here, not carry a bunch of young guys with a losing mentality, not sure thats what held him down skill wise and aggression wise in Edmonton.

But if he can be the mean sob thst can play a regular shift or 15 minutes a game, act as a deterrent, keep oppenets honest, and stir up some crap while.potting 15 goals, then it's good trade for the Flames.

I still think that the chance of Neal bouncing back from their recent troubles is better then Lucic's.

Last edited by browna; 07-20-2019 at 01:32 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote