Thread: [News Roundup] Lucic Trade
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Edmonton Journal
Quote:
James Neal signed as a free agent with Calgary in 2018 shortly after the thrilling Vegas Golden Knights Stanley Cup run. Due to how late into the Spring the club played, Neal had a much shorter summer in which to train. When he showed up in Calgary in September he was behind. And according to those close to the club Neal never physically caught up. He struggled. When the patience of his head coach began to wear thin Neal’s ice-time was cut and his TOI with impact offensive players fell off. Sometime after the Flames exited from the playoffs, it was made clear that if possible…Neal and his contract would move on.

Despite his rocky stay in Edmonton, Milan Lucic never specifically requested a trade. He was always prepared to live up to his contract. But I’m told that he did communicate that if the right situation arose he would not stand in the way. The Canucks inquired about the availability of Lucic in advance of the NHL’s 2019 Free Agency day. But Vancouver insisted that Loui Eriksson and his own problematic contract be a part of any transaction involving Lucic. A club source confirms to me that the Oilers never had any deep interest in Eriksson. Talks led nowhere.

It was at that juncture, however, that I am led to believe that James Neal expressed a specific interest in going to Edmonton. I’m not positive to whom he or his camp did this. But things changed…
Quote:
The bonus in question was paid on July 17th.

Less than 48 hours later, the Lucic-Neal trade was consummated.

Meanwhile, as all the above was transpiring, James Neal has been working out all off-season with conditioning guru Gary Roberts…Neal bound and determined that there will not be a repeat of his shortened Summer of 2018.

Alongside Neal for much of that time at same Roberts’ camp? Connor McDavid.
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...lly-came-about
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote