View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #92
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
you can't just go and post that without the recipe!!!
Here is what I have. My recipe makes enough for around 3 adults or in my case a family of four (kids 6 and 8.)

500 grams of flank steak cut into 1/4 inch strips

Batter:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup of water
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil

whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the water until smooth. Add the egg and oil and whisk together. Put the meat into the batter and coat well.

I use a deep fryer set at 375 degrees and fry the beef in 4 or 5 batches moving the beef around in the oil frequently so that it doesn't stick. I cook the beef for about 3 or 4 minutes. You can also use a dutch oven but I've found that controlling the temperature is more difficult with a dutch oven. After frying I throw the beef into a 200 degree oven to keep it warm.

Sauce:

1 large carrot julienned
1/2 a green bell pepper, 1/2 a red bell pepper julienned
1 jalapeno diced (not seeded - if you don't want it as spicy you can remove the seeds)
1/4 cup minced ginger root
4 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon fancy molasses
red pepper flakes (add as much as you want depending on spiciness desired. I like it spicy so I add about 3 tablespoons.)

Using a wok or deep pan heat the vegetable oil on medium-high heat and add the carrots, peppers and jalapenos. Saute the veggies until slightly soft. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute (until fragrant.) Add the sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and molasses and reduce heat to medium. Bring to a boil and reduce mixture slightly (around 5 minutes.) Add the beef to the wok and toss the beef well so that it is fully coated. Cook for an additional few minutes.

I've found that this recipe works best for me. The beef has a nice light but crispy batter and the sauce is to my liking. Give it a try.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post: