View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #255
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Lots of incentives are cut for private business in Calgary. I can't speak to the two in question, but two that come to mind were the PetroCanada and CP relocations. The city gave them massive incentives to relocate their offices to Calgary including monetary inducements and tax breaks. Let's not think for a second that the City does not bend over for private business. They can bend zoning restrictions, change the classification of historic buildings (I do believe they did this for the Bow?), provide "free land," provide "free loans," incentivize through development deals, provide infrastructure upgrades, not charge taxes, etc. Many of these incentives never make the light of day because they are protected by NDAs. The city can't let these details get out because they establish a baseline for future negotiations with other interests. The city has and will continue to use these mechanisms to incentivize business to come to Calgary, build new buildings, and then to stay in Calgary. This is what municipalities do.
I guess it's hard to tell without the details, but I suspect those massive incentives are far less than what the Flames are asking for? Is there a reason to think otherwise?