View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #242
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Using incentives to lure or keep employers who will provide jobs that pay at, and in most cases well above, the average salary is worthwhile and there's generally a financial case to be made. Outside of the hockey side of things, the Flames primarily employ people making minimum wage, in primarily part time jobs, with no benefits. Yes, there's other economic benefits the Flames provide, likewise there are also many of those same economic benefits for other companies. But it's hard to overcome the quality of employment difference a company like PetroCanada or CP provides compared to the Flames. It's pretty much insulting to suggest they're the same.

It's why if anyone thinks the city investing in an arena is more worthwhile than trying to lure Amazon here, I really don't know what to say other than my new standard "Sports really blinds us" line.
Hold on here. First, I don't think the quality of employment thing is at all accurate. Do you believe that there are only CEOs and then a bunch of fry cooks hired by CSEC and the flames? You have trainers, doctors, coaches, event managers, booking agents, people incharge of logistically moving the team from city to city every second night... The list goes on and on. So to insinuate that the quality of employment is somehow "low brow" is pretty short sighted. Also, at 9.3% unemployment rate in the city, I don't think there really is such a thing as "bad jobs".
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post: