Thread: Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Could someone post a quick recap of what's going on? I feel stupid for being so ignorant on this, but the article I've clicked on lately don't really give much history - just current news. TIA
I guess Coles notes, started with a guy murdering his gf in Taiwan, and then fleeing back to Hong Kong. Hong Kong execs then used it as an excuse to introduce an extradition bill. People freaked out thinking that means people can get extradited to China for political reasons. Protesting / rioting ensued. Bill was suspended, but protesting / rioting continued to now include getting Hong Kong top exec to step down as well as investigation into police brutality.

Now we're at a standstill where China's not backing down and giving into any more demands. Hong Kong protesters continue to protest, riot police continue to police, and violence erupts because you have anger on both sides. Triads supposedly involved.

All in all, it's just one big mess in Hong Kong. Some say the underlying anger from the younger protesters is there's pretty much no hope for the Asian dream in HK as owning a home is next to impossible right now with the current housing prices. The rich developers and corrupt government officials get richer, the average joe gets squeezed out of the market. Many are blaming the Hong Kong government of being incompetent and catering to Beijing and ignoring it's citizens. You have anger boiling over, and young people with no hope for the future.

The problem with these protests are, I'm not sure what the end goal is for the protester side. They'd be naive to think China's going to bend down. I fear this is going to escalate into even more violence and chaos before anything gets solved.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post: