View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #592
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
Special congrats to those in the DC area and other devoted Nats fans. I can't pretend that this series feels to me the way it must for you, but..

I have been a fan of this franchise as long as I can remember (indeed there are pictures of me at one year of age in our backyard in Montreal wearing an Expos hat..)

from those early pre-memories, to summer nights spent in the mid 70s with my older cousin learning how to score a ballgame, to 1979 when the Expos made their first real pennant push, through to the fateful day in fall of 1981 where I feigned illness to stay home and watch Steve Rogers give up the Blue Monday homerun, to the summer of 82 returning for a visit to MTL with my same cousin to watch the MLB allstar game, through my university years in MTL attending as many Expos games as possible (an era where in part current Nats skipper Dave Martinez patrolled center field with legends Tim Raines on his left and Larry Walker to his right), to the ridiculous highs and even worse lows of 1994, 25 years ago...

that was the beginning of the end of course. there were still fond memories ahead, mostly on the backs of 2 guys named Pedro and Vlad, and then it was over...my support moved with the Expos to DC but slowly but surely I did stop watching the sport of baseball in general, I had a young family, life was busy and I was disillusioned by baseball

a few years ago I made the decision to take my son with me on a road trip to Cooperstown to see my sports hero Tim Raines inducted (coincidentally as it turns out along side Astros great Jeff Bagwell)..that road trip rekindled something in me and with that a desire to re-engage with the sport I had followed so closely for 30 years...

and then this summer on a glorious July day, with Max Scherzer on the mound the Nats took to the field in the glorious baby blue Expos uniforms - who knew then that 50 years of agony was being exorcised on that day

what a fun series! what a great outcome. Congrats again to the Nats and their fans. I understand why some of my fellow Expos fans want no part of this, but I hope there is also an understanding for those of us who are loving it!
Great post. I have lots of the same memories. This finally makes up for the Steve Rodgers game. I spent a few years following Pedro with the Red Sox as the expos completely dismantled, that led to a very special memory of my recently passed away father taking me to watch him pitch in Fenway.

Moving to VA around the same time the Nats moved here made for a pretty easy transition to a passionate Nats fan. The expos pain seemed to continue with the Nats though as I went to both game 5 NLDS heart breakers. I spent way too much money taking my 11 year old son to game 5 of the World Series this year, but winning this way more than made up for that games loss, and I hope my son will cherish that memory of being part of this as I do!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post: