View Single Post
Old 10-26-2023, 12:29 PM   #28
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Yeah, you are really sticking it to them by not watching their content for free/without ads!

My overarching point is there's a happy medium—an acceptable quantity and frequency of advertisements that I as a viewer will tolerate—and Google are pushing past that level and doubling-down on making you watch it or coughing up a monthly fee to make it tolerable. It's just the (seemingly inevitable) en####tification of the platform. Instead of making a modest revenue from my modest ad-viewing they'll get nothing from me at all, until eventually they make it impossible for me to view the site. That modest ad revenue from my watching is now gone, forever.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that (mostly) it is not 'Youtube' content anyway: it's content created by others. In exchange the content creators get whatever modest ad revenue-sharing they might from Google, or nothing at all. Therein lies the most ridiculous part of Google having the temerity to extort viewers for a subscription fee or else fill the platform with obstructive advertising and make the viewing experience intolerably annoying: it's not Google's content in the first place.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post: