View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #56
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Interesting first post.

My undergrad is also in Theatre and now I work outside the industry as a teacher - not teaching drama - but I feel like I use what I learned in my degree every single day.

You do so many different things through a theatre degree; that versatility is something which sets me apart from my colleagues. Also, learning how to project and talk “properly” is huge.

In addition, developing the ability to work with very creative teams is invaluable in so many different facets of life.

I seriously think there is no better degree than a generalist theatre degree, with some acting, some tech, and some design, for giving someone the broadest range of applicable skills to any job or industry anywhere.
This is true, and thinking more about it (when it's not really early in the morning), I do use the 'stage management' part/classes of my degree, in the 'people herding' aspect. And a lot of the problem solving part of it, too. I was thinking more of the hard-tech aspect of the degree (how to hang a light plot, how to build a soundscape, etc) but a lot of the soft skills are pretty useful still.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 08-22-2019 at 05:03 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote