View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #40
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an interesting relationship with my degree. I feel like it's not a necessary thing, but my experience and learning so informed my world view that I would be an entirely different person without it. I'm of the generation (and class bracket) where it was just implied you go to school after high school. And the implied proudness was highest for University degrees in engineering/finance/geology, then to any schooling in oil-field based work, then to University degree in something semi-applicable to life, then to college or tech school, and then, lastly, any type of pursuit of something that didn't guarantee you a 9-5 with a tie on.

I have an Economics degree. I got it because I was going to school to be a Psychologist, but then didn't want to spend a doctor's worth of time in school, and found my Economics electives interesting. It helped me in my early career in investment banking...sort of. If I had ended up working up to an advisor, the study of markets and geopolitical situations definitely would have been an advantage. But as an associate, basically just dealing with internal programs, Excel, and product knowledge that came mostly from extra courses like CSC and internal research, I didn't need a degree for any of that.

But my view of myself and the world (as contributed to by my degree) also contributed to my not being happy in the job or industry and ended up leaving at 27, back to school into a 1 year film program that was more of a tech-school environment. I found myself much more applicable to that style of learning, and that going to school later in life had me much more focused on doing well and having a direction for afterwards. I could see the 18-20 year olds there and they wanted "college life" which this program was not. Now I work in commercials and independent films and, while the career is less stable (but still lucrative even at a base level), the hours are craziness and it's without easy things like benefits and pensions, etc... I am much more satisfied and happy with my current state.

Looking back, I did always have an inclination towards the arts, it was just never approached as something feasible as a life support. I'm finding out it is, it's just a different game than the one I grew up in. I sometimes think I should have gone directly into it after high school, or even sooner. But without my schooling and my first career, I wouldn't have the point of view that I have, which I believe is crucial to my personal work as well as how I associate with people in the commercial film world (which is very corporate itself).

That said, much of the University course load was wasted time that I could easily research on my own, with more likelihood of retention, in less time and for free. The internet really could be utilized much better to make learning more accessible, but online degrees are still balked a bit (I think, anyways). In the end, I'm not really sure where I land. I think the benefits of university/college go way beyond the title on the piece of paper you walk out with, but I also think the whole education system can/should be reworked so that people can find their best focuses sooner and enjoy their young learning experience.

Last edited by Coach; 08-22-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post: