View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 09:07 AM   #376
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I like a lot of DC stuff, and as far as Marvel/DC content this show was much better. Production values and acting alone put this over the top.

The main issue for me is that they had some totally wacky and out of control powers and premise to work with, and provided the most straight forward plot possible. It was a show that dealt with altering reality, and everything ended up being just 100% face value. We had a House of M style plot with jumping through time and false realities, and we didn't even really get a twist, let alone a major change in the universe.

I liked the show overall, but would put it pretty far behind recent series like the Boys, the Umbrella Academy, or the Watchmen. The Boys and the Watchmen are both DC properties. So they can make great stuff....as long as it's not part of their main continuity.
I think we might still be going somewhat in that direction, but the thing with Marvel is most of these things are slow burns over multiple shows, I think they are pretty conscientious about dragging along casual fans, and they don't want to overwhelm them with crazy stories all at once, So we've seen the allusion to it with Spiderman, we've seen the warm up for in Wandavision, we can be pretty confident that Loki and WhatIf will be taking place in different realities so we are inching closer to a true multiverse (and they've already announced a movie with Multiverse in the title). Just imagine 15 years ago telling someone how aware the general public would be

I think it's one of the reason Ultron has aged pretty well, it was seen as sub standard when released, and not if you watch it as part of the series it just such an important inflection point in everyone character arc.

They've pretty much always broadcasted the direction they were moving 3-4 shows ahead of time, and they never jump too far ahead in the story with their plot twists. A lot of people seem to be bringing this up as a negative, but I think it's largely the reason for their success. Even Infinity War, opening day I sat in the theater in stunned silence for 10 minutes, but for 10 minutes leading up to the snap I was thinking there is a whole 'nother movie coming Thanos is going to win this round somehow, it wasn't a surprise ending.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
GGG