View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 12:46 PM   #366
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I think those expectations were because of the show itself. I think most people were at best hoping for a not-needed-to-enjoy tie-in with Doctor Strange 2 after Disney announced Wanda would be in it (Like seeing Jarvis in Endgame if you watched Agent Carter). But then WandaVision goes and starts hammering us over the head with fake-Quicksilver and aerospace engineer for the only reason to build hype that they knew was going no where.

Like did they stop watching the Fyre Festival documentaries half way through and think, hey this is a great, let's just build massive hype and expectations that we know we aren't delivering on and I'm sure it will work out fine.

I also strongly agree about the Quicksilver thing in that it was a "#### you" but I don't know why you go out of your way to tell your audience that. Yes, people expected it to be more than a random guy but that's entirely because they went out to get Evan Peters to reprise his role. This wasn't "What's with the stork...well stork sounds a lot like Stark, this must be Tony's plan to be revived!" weird ass theory we saw, this was the studio telling us that Quicksilver from the X-Men universe is here somehow....and then he wasn't, Ralph just happened to look remarkably like him. We could also had the finale end with Luis waking up mid climax and telling Ant-Man about his crazy dream about Wanda if we really wanted to #### with audience and subvert expectations but it wouldn't be a good ending. Although probably a better one.

Take out Quicksilver (or replace him with a random actor/Taylor-Johnson) and I think the show would be much better for it.
Quicksilver could still turn out to be quicksilver

The person in “witness protection” could be a mutant who crossed over in the multiverse which is why they sent the superhero involved FBI agent and a sword rep to track him down. All of the bread crumbs are still there and could be used in the future. Fantastic Four could still be the result of the accident in space that made the astronauts lose their nerve. This type of bread crumbing for future writers to use is a staple in connected universes as the ret conning makes it feel planned. Like in Harry Potter when Riddles diary is a horcrux or in Star Wars Luke and Leila being siblings. Things don’t need to pay off now. For now it can be a dick joke.

Even if the above doesn’t happen the Quicksilver cameo stills does work for the greater MCU. It introduces people to the idea of the multiverse and gets people talking about how a multiverse works in advance of the Strange and Spidermam movies. This conditions the audience to be ready that these things are possible and makes the next movies easier to understand. So it wasn’t done just as an FU.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote