View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 05:23 AM   #442
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
I've never heard of the CAHL. Our main reason for going HSL was the schedule and development. You are correct on the Periods although our first 2 games were 20-20-20, maybe a mistake. I figured out some of the rules this past weekend and the dropping of the clock only happens when there is a 7 goal difference. Probably a good rule either way. Our first game finished 7-3 and they didn't drop the clock.
What are games like for Peewee AA in the city? Out in the rural areas (league is SCHAL) we are 3 20's with floods in between each period. I think we finished 5 of our games without dropping the clock last year.

We had such a poor experience in HSL with coaching and frankly the level of play was below Peewee AA outside of a couple of teams I don't think we would ever go back. There just isn't enough teams to have good, balanced play throughout the divisions. For example, you can already see it's going to be a long season for the '10 Foothills kids, and the parents paying $4,000 to lose every game in Atom hockey. You'll be able to spot the season long losers after the first showcase for all of the divisions. There is more to hockey than winning, but when you lose every game it makes for a long season.

The concept of the game schedule is very good, I just don't think there are enough teams at this point to balance out the divisions, and the development aspect I am not so sure of. It really comes down to coaching. My son's best coaching comes from a local parent who coaches our core group for several years. Because teams are owned, for profit ventures, we had nowhere to turn for the #### show we experienced last year. I do hope the game structure makes Hockey Alberta think about their setup long term. Next weekend for example, our kids are on a bus for one trip to Medicine Hat for a single game and back.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote