View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #441
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
This is a thread for parents to discuss the trials and tribulations of their kids hockey seasons for good or bad. If this is your only contribution why are you even in this thread, are you trying to set a record of how many threads you can bitch and complain in all at once?

There is absolutely nothing wrong in wanting the best for your children and if a message board is a place for you to come a vent then it's likely your using that platform instead of directing that frustration on your kids which is great in my opinion.

My goal for my son and the kids I coach is to enjoy playing the game still in their 40's, however that doesn't mean I shouldn't voice my concerns with things that are out of line along the way.
First off I didn’t mean any offence (pun intended). Sorry if I insulted you.

My kid is literally starting out in minor hockey, he’s 5. That’s why I opened the thread. I know from playing hockey my entire life and following it and having friends and family in it that in some cases have gone to very high levels, I know how Canadians can twist the game into a pretty weird realm. Away from being a game. My comment was only meant in that regard. It’s important for parents to remind themselves about why their kid plays the game.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with venting if you feel like your kid is getting the shaft in evaluations but I only caution that at the end of the day as long as your kid is having fun, meeting good friends and getting some exercise, in my opinion those are the most important things. Not what team your kid ends up playing on. Sometimes parents forget that because they are passionate about the sport. Because they want more from their kid. In fact I distinctly recall being placed on a lower tier once or twice growing up because, well, for whatever reason, and I absolutely loved it because I did really well in lower levels than I otherwise would have as an average player at higher levels. When you’re kinda dominating out there or feeling productive, it’s really fun.

I think you know exactly what I’m getting at- and a thread like this is the perfect place to put this comment actually. With a new kid starting out I was blown away at the expectation for signing up and the online courses and gong show to enrol your kid. It’s sad and obvious this is needed however, but it’s because parents take kids sports to levels that cross ridiculous and enter barbaric.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 09-26-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post: