View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A couple of thoughts I have on our depth:

1) Peters juggling his lines more often than Gulutzan, and being more willing to adjust ice time based on who's performing will go a long way to getting more out of our bottom 6. Getting the odd shift with guys like Gaudreau, Tkachuk, or Monahan can spark a bottom-6 forward and get them some confidence offensively, and getting extra shifts when playing well should help to maximize their production. I've got no problem with taking a few shifts away from the top 6 if another line is feeling it on a given night.

2) I think it's really important to define what each line's role is, and make sure all 3 players on that line fit the role. You can take your 3rd and 4th lines in a lot of different directions: sheltered offensive line, secondary shutdown line, energy line. What really bothers me is when you mix and match players that can succeed in one or the other, and you end up with a line that has a weak link no matter how you deploy it. I've got no problem with a guy like Hathaway or Lazar in an energy line, and they're decent enough options for a shutdown line, but I don't want them anywhere near a line that's expected to produce offense. On the other hand, Bennett and Jankowski are guys we want to get some production out of.

3) We have a lot more skill in our depth forwards now, which probably necessitates changing the way we think about our lines. When you've got guys like Czarnik, Bennett, Ryan, and Jankowski in your bottom 6, IMO it makes more sense to prioritize skill in the remaining slots so you're not holding them back offensively. I think if you're going to take skilled offensive forwards, and start them in your own zone with grinders for linemates, you're never going to be happy with them, so I'd rather start with 12 skilled forwards and figure out the defensive side from there.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post: