View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #898
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hated this trade when I first heard it. Reading through the thread I now get that there would be a problem signing Fox, and I get that Dougie had some off ice and/or intensity issues. I also acknowledge that Hanifin is still very young, and is years away from the age where most defensemen hit their peak (though Dougie isn't there as well). So I've come down a bit. But. . . .

At the end of the day Calgary has had a huge hole in their RW, with no prospects projecting to have a high probability of filling that role. Treliving has admitted that's a worry of his. Yet he's now gone through 2 off seasons and shipped out a 1st, two 2nds, Dougie Hamilton, Ferland, and Fox, and still hasn't conclusively dealt with that issue; the team is still in a position of simply hoping a player can step up to a level he's never met before. Tre hoped (expected) Bennett to step up last year, he hoped Ferland could prove to be a full time top 6 player, and is now hoping Lindholm can at least double his average goal production from the last 4 years (this from a guy whose draft profile said "One area of improvement for Lindholm with the puck would be his ability to finish off plays. He gets very good chances around the net, but just does not seem to be able to score on them as often as he should, and he should also try to look to shoot more often".

Bottom line, that's way too many high quality assets out the door to not feel confident that the team has solved its RW scoring issues.

Edit: I should say that I'm elated that this means that Brodie goes back to the right side. Yes, it's Treliving solving a problem he created, but I'll give props to a guy who can admit he made a mistake.

Last edited by Mike F; 06-23-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote