View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #223
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
To have a true national championship game, it should be an 8-team playoff, with the 8 teams being the champion from each of the following five conferences:

ACC;
Big 12;
Big 10;
Pac 12; and
SEC.

And the champion from the following three conferences:

AAC;
Mid-American; and
Mountain West.

The teams would be seeded by random draw of the hat, to be determined at the end of each regular season. So one year the SEC could be #1 going against #8 Big 12, even though both conference champs might be undefeated. It would all be based on the luck of the draw.

The 8 teams would play in 4 New Years Day bowl games, then two games the following week (ideally, on a Saturday), and then one last game a week later (also on Saturday, ideally).

But no "Independents" could force their way into the playoff, so if Notre Dame, or Army, or BYU, or the like want a chance to be named national champion, they've got to find a spot in one of the above listed conferences.

Such a scenario would be a lot cleaner and more honest than what we've got now, but that may be why it won't be happening anytime soon.
The only thing I would change is I would put the quarter final games the weekend after the Conference Championships, in December. Winners would play in the semis in two of the major bowls like they do now. Losers would still be eligible for the other New years Six bowl games.

I don't think it's feasible to push into January any further than it is now with second semester classes starting.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote