View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #1997
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a wee bump here to say a couple of things:

Anyone playing Ring Fit Adventure? This looked totally laughable on the release video, and only Nintendo could sell a $100 pilates ring (OK - plus a leg strap and a game). Then I read some of the reviews and thought I'd take a closer look. The overall sentiment in the reviews is: "I thought that this would be terrible but it is surprisingly good". And then I took the gamble and bought one.

Holy smokes is it good. And it actually gets your heart rate up and gives you a challenge, all while playing a very basic RPG with little battles along the way. The caveat is that I'm a 40-year-old guy, and while I used to play a lot of soccer, hip issues have kept me from paying that in recent years. I'm not sedentary by any means, but I also find the gym/bike/elliptical extremely boring. For something that I can do for a bit after the kid is in bed and not be bored out of my mind, this is proving to be a good fit. If you're a regular at the gym, you may not get as much from it. But for me (and my wife), we are finding it to be good.

And also - just would like to share a positive experience with Nintendo's service department. My pro controller was just over a year old and developed a drifting issue on my left stick. For example, Luigi would walk downwards when I wasn't pressing it down. The calibration screen showed some drifting and some inconsistent wobble when it should be fully in one direction. I tried the canned air, gently putting a bit of rubbing alcohol on the ball part, etc. and it could sometimes be solved for a session, but it would always return.

Figured I'd try Nintendo before trying to fix it myself. Apparently the warranty is only 90 days on those things (thought it would be a year), so the agent said I'd have to pay out of pocket. A bit annoyed, I asked why a known problem like that would require a charge, and I was expecting $50 or 60. He said he'd give me free shipping in both directions and also shave $10 off, but I still doubted that it would be worth it. It cost a grand total of $20, which was a pleasant surprise. 9 days after leaving my possession it returned, but it was a brand new pro controller instead!

So on one hand, their hardware could sometimes be better and the warranty longer. On the other hand, $20 to replace (or fix) a 13-month-old pro controller is pretty reasonable. Your results may vary, but before giving up on something or risking a DIY repair, give Nintendo a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post: