View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 07:53 AM   #157
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I understand the sentiment, but what annoys me is that refurbs often have warranties after purchase of something like 90 days. Open box usually has the typical minimum of 1 year and on occasion, you can even tack on some extended warranty as if it were brand new. If you can get normal warranty on a refurb though, by all means, go for it because it's the same theory as open box.

The part that annoys the crap out of me is that a refurb is sold in a way that the vendor tries to disassociate themselves from it as soon as possible. For something that's slightly more expensive, I'm not taking that dice roll. Not so for an open box/display models. I'll have the same odds and same support as someone who brought brand new, even if there's an issue with a product line.
I went with a 75" TCL 6 series at best buy, and it was open box. Glad I did. The 75" 6 series sells brand new for $1800. On Black Friday it was $1700.

They had the open box in the back, tried to sell it to me for $1600, we settled on $1400. Then the manager came by as I was paying and offered a 4 year warranty and calibration for $100 (usually they'll go half price on warranty which would have been $140, and half price on calibration which would have been $150). The calibration? meh, but for essentially free I'll take it.

Couldn't say no to that. So now it's essentially a new TV with the 4 year warranty. If this thing stops working in three years I get the newest model for free.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-09-2019 at 07:55 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: