View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #172
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I'm saying we divert the massive resources dedicated to oil exploration, refinement, transport and fueling infrastructure into grid expansion, local storage, solar and the like. The gas station is a very tiny part of fueling our cars.

I think what you're missing is how much energy it takes to get the petrol to your favourite station. If you want to talk about the grid and electricity in general it takes a massive amount as part of the refinery process. And the electricity usage is scratching the surface look what it takes to run an oil refinery. Just the refinery not exploration, drilling, fracking, building of the refinery itself, fuel transport.
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp..._dcu_nus_a.htm

If you want to talk about cost a refinery can cost $15 billion, takes at least 5 years to build. $15 billion would pay for, if my quick math is correct 150,000 charging stations (which contain 10-15 outlets each).

Look at it from another angle, it will not be expensive to convert a petrol station to charging stations. Plus we don't need to do this overnight if it takes 20-30 years that's great. I'm not saying everyone can own an EV overnight and we'll be fine that's silly. In 1908 did people say, nah that car will never catch on where will I get my gasoline? I guess some did....

I still think this argument is being obtuse to the points made before, 1 being the increased need for power generation which also isn't free (whichever way you choose to do it, plus these powerwalls if you choose to throw all the money at tesla), and to do so in a manner and timeframe that won't compromise the power delivery to everyones everyday lives (ie, there are already black and brownouts from outstripping capacity). 10-15 superchargers are, as the math was done previously, not exactly low power consumers.

You can't make the argument about refining cost and delivery cost and completely ignore generation cost, or hardware cost, or delivery, environmental and infrastructure cost for electricity. This is the biggest fallacy in the electric car ownership groups, they consistently exclude many factors that are remarkably similar between the two energy groups, from manufacture, to mining, to generation, pollution, general environmental impact to recycling or lack thereof.