View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #32
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's a very fair point. I think the system needs to be tweaked as well. I know for a fact my fast-asleep 12-year-old daughter wasn't going to hop out of bed and solve this crime, so we didn't need to wake her up. My phone was set to 'do not disturb', which this system was able to circumvent to disturb me, too.

Instantaneoulsy virtually deputising the entire population of Alberta to stop a kidnapper is awesome, but last night illuminated some flaws. Maybe if a phone hasn't been accessed for 60 minutes between 10pm and 7am the system would assume the person is sleeping or something? IDK, but there will be a solution I'm sure.
I'd agree, I think there could be some balance in figuring out a happy middle ground. Would be nice if the system respected "do no disturb" or "silent" for certain alerts (Amber), but then didn't for grave emergencies (tornado, fire, flood) where you'd want to alert everyone, including those sleeping. Sounds like it depends on the phone model if it respects the silent/DND mode (Galaxy S9 did not), but would be good to build the different levels into the system itself (likely difficult given I understand its a global model)

Its a powerful system clearly, so it is difficult to argue that an amber alert isn't "critical", but as you mentioned, sleeping people or people at home likely could make do with a silent notification and still be aware so they can be on the lookout when they're actually awake or out and about.

Last edited by Ducay; 03-16-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote