View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The day and age of pure dogfighters I think is going away, tactics and doctrine have changed with the concept of and I don't know the word to use. Sphere's of death and inter-operability.

If a dog fighter has to swarm through multiple attacks while trying to locate a target that shows up as the size of a silver dollar its never going to engage.

If a plane can find and pin down a target and let everyone in theatre know where it is then you don't need planes with huge bomb loads, you need one missile or one hyper accurate bomb.

The term used to describe the F-35 is its an airborne hacker that can act as its own awacs or awacs for everyone else.

I love the look of the Typhoon, and because I grew up with Top Gun and watching airshows, the idea of furballs is somewhat romantic.

But if one plane can pin you down and for example aim the missile for another plane that you don't know is there, all of the dog fighting skills and speed and agility go way.

The F-35 is a generational leap ahead with a lot of really exciting future features including the ability to fire and control multiple drones from a long distance to extend its range.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote