View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #2016
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What's going to be left is they get out of consumer electronics like TV's and phones which are two areas they are struggling mightily with a bleak outlook on the horizon? Music/Film and PS? I don't think they have the 1st party game recognition and portable market to survive like Nintendo.
Their TV sales accounted for 9% of 2013 revenue, phones a more significant 18%. However, on the bottom line, both of these have been losing money and likely requiring significant R&D expenses (towards a losing cause).
Financial Services accounted for 77% of Sony's 2013 operating income ($145 MM), while mobile products and home entertainment contributed a negative -$181 MM in the same year.
Aside from these, Sony is left with: imaging products (likely in decline), games, audio, semiconductors, Sony Pictures, and Sony Music.
As for servicing the debt, I would wager that without these money losing divisions, their operating cash flow would well cover the expenses for growing the business and servicing the debt.
It would be painful for a company that does not want to lose face, but there are options.

(note: I know next to nothing about consumer products businesses. Just looking at their financial statements. Sony is more than the what we the average north american person sees: Average TVs, average phones, awesome game system)
Flames89 is online now   Reply With Quote