View Single Post
Old 08-04-2023, 12:20 PM   #60
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I don't disagree with this in terms of music and performance. In terms of a tool for filmmaking I do. Filmmaking is not a performance, it is a mosaic of 100's of art forms. There are performances involved with it and a big part is capturing a live, human performance that we can connect with. But whether it has to be edited, animated, scored, written, etc... it ALL goes through a computer since way before 2008, or 1999. Even if this are done in traditional methods. Is a script better if it's done on a typewriter or a computer? The writer may have written it on paper with a pen first regardless, and animator will almost certainly start with hand drawn on paper before, regardless of whether they plan to animate on paper or computer, and even if done on paper they will scan it into the computer to edit it. You don't think Hans Zimmer uses a computer to record and mix his arrangements? Movies shot on film are also edited in computers. And yes that can mean that some people are just doing things for the sake of doing, but the masters will use those tools to help themselves work faster and better too. Just because someone is sitting to do their art form doesn't mean they're just whacking it or whatever. I feel like you're pretty dismissive of the talent and dedication necessary to get great at those things. Did you just pick up a guitar, go on stage within a few minutes and were a wild man rockstar? Or did it take hours and hours of sitting in your room "whacking it" to endless E A and D progressions? Paul Kossof of Free literally slashed the front of his amp open to get the distortion sound he wanted for All Right Now. Now you can get that sound on a foot pedal. Do you use foot pedals with your electric guitar?

Filmmaking is still a VERY young art form and things are going to get even wilder with VR and new cameras that capture light points and AI. It will no doubt lead to new levels of suck, but it will also lead to new levels of entertainment and artistry in the hands of people who are actual artists.
True, but they'll be drowned in crap. Like we are now.

I've used a computer creatively every day for the last 30 years dude. I know what it is. Your amp and footpedal comments are entirely beside the point. Buddy still has to operate strings attached to wood with his human body. Anything attached to that is just fluff so far as my point goes. There is nothing that happens inside the box, no matter how complicated, that is anywhere close to being that profound. The tool, the computer, has devalued that to the level of minecraft.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post: