View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #77
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I thought I'd bump this and probably not for a good reason, but because I'm frustrated and I need to vent.

Its not about the kids, they've been great. Its not about the results we've got a great record . I mean we've had our struggles offensively, but that's what happens when you have all rookie QB's all rookie backfield, all rookie receivers and a patchwork offensive line.

I guess my frustration over all is with the coaching and officiating and this weekend it came to a head for me.

First of all with the officiating, I get it they take abuse from coaches and that needs to stop, that's why I pride myself in being even tempered about it, I never used to be, but I came to a realization that they have a tough job. But now they've basically self mandated that they aren't going to talk to the bench and justify or explain calls. However now what's happened is they've created a even more frustrated and toxic relationship with the coaches. Its simply not working. It came to a head for me on a sequence of three plays. The last of which was an absolutely terrible inexcusable call that cost us the tying points in a close game. And then after the call the officials absolutely refused to discuss this with the coaches on our sidelines (I was in the booth at the time). Maybe I could be wrong I thought, maybe my eyes deceived me so I waited til I got home and downloaded the film and looked at it. Nope it was an inexcusably bad call and refusing to talk to coaches has now made it worse.

I get it, we have a lot of inexperienced refs and its a tough gig, but now they're making the situation worse.

So what about the earlier calls. Again late in the game when we were driving down the field for the tying or winning points, one of their players breaks free and lays a blatant late hit on my Quarterback, and it wasn't oops late, it was three steps and bam. So now my starter is out, and we put in backup and call a roll out to avoid the rush. So my QB rolls out and throws the ball and one of my opponents players takes three steps leading with the helmet and my back up QB is lying on the ground writhing in pain, plus my receiver who's my third string went down with an injury on the same play. Two blatant late hits in a game, complete BS.

I certainly blame the refs on this, it was a blatant head target on the QB, even on the film it looked disgusting.

I blame the coaches, we're supposed to be teaching safe contact, but I'm seeing head tackles and horsed collars all over the place.

We're not doing the game any favors here, we sit there and wonder why player registration is dropping its because of stuff like this,

On top of that we have teams where they are up by 50 points and short kicking so they can get more. Kids on these losing teams aren't going to come back to keep getting beaten on.

I love the fact that people come out and volunteer to coach, but I'm starting to wonder if there's volunteering to teach the kids, get them to love the sport, or are they coaching to feed their ego's?

I was watching the CFL over the last couple of weeks and watching Awe's head shots and other head shots, and I was sitting there thinking "Thanks a lot guys, you're going to kill this game because everytime parents see this BS they're not letting their kids sign up"

Anyways, rant off, I don't know what to do anymore. I've had about 15 years of combined football coaching, maybe that's good enough and its time to find another hobby after this season.
...Keep doing what you've done and teach your players that you can only control the actual game you can't control the officials - take that to heart for yourself and enjoy the game... This is Bantam football not the NFL no careers are at stake and no big pay cheques depend on the next play... Officials suck that's just the reality but you'll be doing your players a big favor by focusing on the next play not the last. I've coached college and I've coached pro - the players and the coaches who keep moving forward are the ones with a thick skin and a short memory... Control what you can control.
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOSSY For This Useful Post: