View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 02:06 PM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

My dreams of competitive sports pretty much ended before I turned 20. I had too many injuries, and too many blows to the head, and my doctor, put an end to that.

I didn't get into coaching until I hit my 30's, back in the day when you didn't need certification, you talked to the head coach, if he liked your skill set, he'd use you.

I agree that parent coaches are important, as long as they're good parent coaches. We had an OC that was a parent coach, but his son was on the defense, and this coaches knowledge and abilities were off of the chart, and I learned a massive amount from him.

Those type of parent coaches are awesome.

But when you have a parent coach who's number one justification is I'm doing this to spend time with my kid, that's the type of coach that you worry about.

Coaching staffs really have to be cohesive, they have to get along, and they have to enjoy working with each other. that's the one thing I love about coordinating is that if you have a great bunch of guys to work with. Amazing ideas come out of it, and amazing energy comes out of it, and all of the kids benefit.

Sure your going to have disagreements, I've had some coaches tell me that some of my ideas aren't so good. Or that I made a bad play call.

But we all learn.

However head coaches and coordinators have to make sure that the message is. Absolutely we're collaborative, however at the end of the day, if I'm calling the game, I'm the final say. But at the same time, if I make a bad play call, and the head coach is slowly ripping my head off. It doesn't matter that Bob the Oline coach designed that play, that's on me, that's my bad, and poop only slides down so far.

Anyways, we've had some highly experienced parent coaches show up and want to volunteer because they're son is on the team, and we've turned the parent down. But because of our program and what we do, usually the kid decides he wants to play anyways even if Dad is in the Stands.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote