View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSY View Post
Yeah thought it was sarcasm just wasn't sure ... That being said I did a lot of stupid things as a young coach coming right out of playing at a high level brought the college intensity to coaching - not proud of that...
Thats the thing, I started as a kid and over time became really, really good at it, some of the players I was working with are in the National program now. I'm still telling major soccer programs to leave me alone but my phone still rings.

But I made mistakes, some really big ones too, being a coach is tough and any coach that says they never screwed up is lying through their teeth.

I started young, I made mistakes, I took advantage of some of those mistakes and others I had to take in the teeth, but its the acknowledgement that you made them and using that knowledge to not make them again is whats most important.

You get people who take themselves so seriously despite the fact that they're coaching 10 year-old girls' rec soccer that it becomes a detriment.

You're the coach. You're responsible. You have to never forget your goals and the goals of your team and your season and never let your personal goals or ambitions get in the way.

I used the word 'never' a lot of times in that paragraph despite knowing its total crap, we're human and we get caught up in the moment like everyone else, its hard. I use humour to deal with it. Others do things differently.

I've got all kinds of crazy stories and they're not all going to paint me in a good light. Just like you. I'm sure we all do.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: