Thread: MLB 2017 Season
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #42
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I don't watch much National League Baseball, and the reason is solely because they don't have a DH. The Pitchers can't hit worth #### and don't even try to even if they could, and it seems to add about 20-30 minutes to every game with the endless pitching changes to get a hitter up at the plate, especially when the rosters expand.
Yay for hyperbole! I'll interrupt your rant with some facts and stats.

The lack of DH does not add 20-30 minutes per game. In fact, because the AL managers don't have to worry about their pitchers hitting, they can switch pitchers more often to get better matchups on the mound. Games in NL parks are 15 seconds longer than AL parks. By removing outliers, NL games are quicker by up to 3 seconds! Source: FiveThirtyEight https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/...the-game-down/.

There are pitchers who are decent hitters. Bumgarner, Greinke, Wood, and Kershaw come to mind right away. There are also pitchers who are terrible hitters, such as Bartolo Colon. Amongst all MLB players with enough qualifying at bats in 2016, the lowest batting average was .209. There were 30 players in 2016, with enough qualifying at bats, that had a batting average less than .250. There were 27 pitchers that had a batting average of .250 or more. 8 of these pitchers did that with 10 or more at bats.

In 2016 AL teams used an average of 519 IP from their bullpen, while NL teams used an average of 540 IP. Over 162 games that means each NL team is using 21 innings of bullpen more than the AL teams, or 1 extra inning of bullpen every 7.7 games. That's basically the same amount, especially when you add in the NL teams averaged 5 more innings pitched than the AL teams for the year. What stat I wish I could find is to see number of pitching changes. I'm sure if I look harder, I could find it, but as of now it eludes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote