View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #1187
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a ton of trees on my property I'm trying to figure out what to do with. 4x giant like 30-50' spruce trees, 2x 10' spruce trees like 2 feet from the foundation and like half a dozen tower aspen (or columnar popular, not sure).

I'm thinking to DIY (which likely I have to spend around $300-500 for some equipment like pole saws, telescopic pruners, safety equipment etc.). I think I can do most of it, but for the roots, should I try and DIY or should I call in a pro? How much does it cost to dig out tree roots and stumps? I'm also assuming if I want someone to pull it out for me, it would be easier to leave 3-4 feet of trunk for leverage vs cutting to a few inches off the ground?

I think I am going to cut down one of the shorter spruce trees. I'm not looking forward to digging out the roots though. I'm also trying to figure out if I want another plant to replace the spruce for privacy.

The 4 gigantic spruce are going in all sorts of different directions and I think I need to figure out how to tidy them up a little. I doubt I can upkeep more than around 15-20' up. No idea if I need to trim even higher. My neighbor also has around 3-4 large spruce trees that occasionally overhang onto my side, so I think having the saws and the pruners will be useful for that too.

The tower aspen are getting older and are around 5-6" trucks at the base. The property inspector advised met to consider replacing them in around 2-3 years time so that the roots don't get bad enough to damage the foundation and the upper branches aren't thick enough to damage the roof when the wind blows. Cutting them down isn't hard, but I wonder how big of a pain it would be to rip out the roots myself to prepare the ground for new trees.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote